Overweight for life

July 20, 2006

This last few days, have been full of hard and long work on the exercise side, as I changed my daily goals of calories-loss due to exercise to 750 calories a day(minimum), and I start a preparation plan for walking the Niagara Falls Half Marathon, as they don’t have a 10 km run and I am lazy to look somewhere else. A half marathon is 13.1 Mile or approx 20 Km. This is a huge challenge but I think I can do it, as I still have 3 months to improve my walking stamina. I will be posting details , so those of you that live near by, or just want to join me, DO IT. It should be fun if we get a group and do it together. If you think about it, is just walking 4 hours @ approx 3-3.3 mph.

Today’s weight-in, stopped the scale at the 288.2 lbs mark. It feels great, I am so excited. After three full and long months since I made my decision to lose weight and started doing something about it( My new motto is "Do something, Do anything, Get going, NOW"), I have made a big improvement as I already loss a total of 34 lbs, an average of about 11 lbs a month. I promise I will post a photo , so you can check how handsome I look(hehe).

So this is my new Statistics:

Weight: 288 Pounds
Waist: 44 inches
Height: 6.0" +
BMI: 38.6

Based on the categories associated with the Body Mass Index (B.M.I) definition used by the World Health Organization (WHO), I am not anymore Morbidly Obese. I dropped down into the Severely Obese category. I am still an obese man but I feel like screaming loud and clear, WOOOO-HOOOO!!!!!. See table :




Now, having fun and playing with my future weight numbers I get an interesting observation, just follow thru: I need an extra loss of 28 lbs, a weight of 260 lbs, to get into the lower category of Very Overweight or Obese. Now an extra 29 lbs, on top of the previous loss , a Weight of 231 lbs gets me into the Overweight club. What is funny is that the final 11 lbs I need to lose to get to my goal of 220 lbs will keep me in the Overweight category, with an BMI of 29.5.

There is a newer guide called halls.md v2 that takes in consideration Age, as we age we tend to gain body mass, so that is considered in the calculation of obesity. The problem I have with these tables is that they don't take in consideration body type, or percentage of Lean Body Muscle. If we used those tables, all Football players, most of the Basketball players, Hockey players etc... will be overweight( excepting Baseball bellies of course). So I am not that concerned about it, once I get to my goal or closer to my goal I will start using my body fat index, to measure the percentage of fat in my body and try to decrease fat and increase muscle, but staying in the 220 lbs mark.

So I guess I am destined to be Overweight for the rest of my life, but for now I will enjoy my Severely Obese status.

Have a good day and Do something, Do anything, Get Going, NOW.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I like your new motto! Something is better than nothing!

I found you via FatFighterBlogs, I just hopped on the blogwagon and have started a blog about my experience winning an Extreme Makeover ... my Big Reveal is August 4th - hope you can swing by to read more about it!

Living to Feel Good said...

WooooHoooOOOoo! I am so excited for you.
My husband has the same problem with the cart..he will always be obese. I'm not sure what he is, but he is 6'4'' and weights 275 right now. He has lost 70lbs doing WW and lots of exercise. He looks pretty slim right now, but wants to lose another 35lbs to be 240. WW said he has to be 195 for his height and health or a doctors note. He already got the doctors note because like I said he's pretty slim. He has huge muscles on his legs that may be weighing him down I dunno. Any way my point is that those charts don't follow true for everyone.
Good luck with your half marathon. As you always say "we (you) can do this!!" :)

Barbara said...

I don't like charts that tell you how much you should weigh. Yes, they serve as a general guideline but everyone is different. Problem is I pay attention to them and want to be within the "normal" status.

pastgirl said...

Hi there! Since I read your blog pretty regularly I just added you to the list on my website http://pastgirlsfuture.blogspot.com. Hope you don't mind (if you do let me know and I'll remove you). Come on over and pay me a visit!

BTW, making it into the overweight category for me was a major milestone – and I'm still there, pretty happily I might add...