The Secret of my Success

November 03, 2006

I think one of the most important factors in my struggle to lose weight is to keep myself motivated, motivation is the key, motivation is the thing that will make you decide to lose weight, motivation is what will keep you coming back to the GYM day after day, motivation is what will keep you going when you are tired and mentally quitting. I do believe that we quit mentally first, emotionally, our body’s can still go but we think in the comfort of the sofa or in the great taste of a chocolate bar and our knees shake in weakness. In my personal case I already have some mental images that I can focus on to give me the boost to continue when tired or bored and every one of you can Do it , FIND IT, try different things until you find something that really works, you will feel it in your bones when you find it and maybe even contain your emotions so you don't show them to your treadmill neighbor, is not easy to hide the redness in your eyes and the tears coming out of your eyes, although the winter season and its associated flu’s and cold's is the best time for a cover-up.

Another important factor in my case is feeling comfortable when exercising, slack clothe, loose comfortable shorts. I can feel the difference in my mood when I can’t wear (Washing issue) my favorite items, I feel more conscious and uneasy. Your shoes are a must, they have to be comfortable, so you don’t even think of them. I made the original mistake of trying to walk and jog with my Basketball shoes and they were ok for 10-15 minutes but after that I started feeling mindful of my steps as it bothered me a bit, later at home, my feet ached, not a lot but enough to call my attention. so I decided to buy running shoes, what a difference it made, My feet has not been an issue since that day. The ones I bought are like middle of the road shoes, no self-appointed runner will ever buy them, so don't worry about price , you can find decent ones at good prices, I'll say at least, half the price of the tennis you buy your trendy teenage boy. Mine are new balance , the widest I could find and they keep my feet out of pain, please do it, because this time, you will lose weight for good , this time you and I will never go back to our previous weight.

The problem I have, now, is that I have to carry 2 pairs of shoes to the GYM because I play a bit of basketball when I can and if I play competitive my running shoes will not do, they are not made for those sudden stops and acceleration and drastic direction changes, no traction and they get lose too easy. Well that's life.

The third thing I am talking about today is MUSIC, music can change your emotional behavior very easy, so I use it to give me emotional drive. To be trustful with you , I just can't do it with out it. The days I forget my MP3 player, I feel weaker and I tend to exercise less time and less strong, seriously. That was my other investment I did , my mp3 player, is not an iPod, just a generic player , with 1 GIG of memory so it can hold plenty of music or audio books, or recording of your daughter saying "I love you Mom". I tried originally with my old CD player , but it was cumbersome trying to burn CD's to accommodate what I wanted to listen to, so I bitted the bullet and bought an mp3 player. One of the best decisions ever, it has helped me so much on my program.

I usually listen to music when on the treadmill and when on the bike I tend to listen to a Pod cast or an audio book. It will take you a while to find the right combination of music that makes you feel energized and motivated to help you on your exercise. I am uploading my generic 30 min Hard( like I want to push my aerobics and sweat) treadmill work-out so you can listen to what I listen when on the sweat factory. For the rest of the time I listen to a more soft and wide variety, some of my favorites are David Usher, ColdPlay, Five for Fighting, Smashing Pumpkins, Elton John, Cat Stevens, Kansas, Queen, Lifehouse, Gavin Degraw, Howie Day, Smash Mouth , The Killers , Early November and Salsa of course.


30 Min Hard treadmill workout (includes 5-10 min warm out and stretching)

1. Yolanda Adams - I Believe I can Fly


2. Black Eyed Peas - Don't Phunk With My Heart


3. Yolanda Adams - I Believe


4. Yolanda Adams - I am Thankful


5. Yolanda Adams - Never Give Up


6. Rihanna - Pon De Replay


7. Elton John - Tiny Dancer



I hope I can keep motivating myself in any way possible to get to my 102 pounds goal. Do something, Do anything, Get Going, NOW.

Roddy

3 comments:

The Coz said...

Roddy, you are doing great! Just wanted to say thanks for the continuing posts. This is a great one about motivation. Thanks for helping the rest of us by sharing your journey.

Carm

angelfish24 said...

Yeah, motivation is the main thing for me and have found it, thank goodness! But I know at times, it will be hard to come by but the last 6 mo. has been good. MP3 player sounds like a good idea. I just have a radio armband thing I started using and it helps keep me going when I jog or workout but 1/2 the time they talk! I do have mp3 player (think that's what it is, i'm so not teckie) that my hubby gave me that I didn't know what to do w/ and now he uses it. I also have a heart monitor that I haven't used cause I didn't want to wear the strap around the chest. Now he has that too! But, I did get a good pair of running shoes and it got rid of the pain that I was getting from my nb old ones. You are doing great, and have a good week! Patty

Neil said...

great to read your story roddy. I really helps with the motivation to know you are not alone. I am going to add an MP3 player to my list fro Father Christmas this year ;-)